Saturday 17 September 2011

Photoshoot Day:

LIGHTS, CAMERA...ACTION:





Well, off we go, into the unknown.

What a funny day I have just had... I said to John, if it wasn't for HORSE magazine coming I'd have left the horses grazing because they're bonkers when it's windy, and I don't ride them for self-preservation reasons, and just come indoors and practice on my drums. But I had agreed to do it, I had worked myself up about it, I had brushed the boys to within an inch of their lives and cleaned their tack (that's serious commitment to the cause), I was ready, the boys were ready and wind wasn't getting in our way today!


fully prepared, even my tack was clean!





Lemmy was looking out for the Photographer.




Always be courteous to drivers, you might find you need them on your side the next time and they'd be more inclined to be helpful if they like you.



When the Editor of a magazine calls me and asks me to do something, that request is met with trepidation, because it usually means my photo being taken after a swift blow-dry and me talking about denim and it all ends up being a bit cheesy.  This of course is work related.


...but when the Editor of a HORSE magazine called me, I got quite beside myself with excitement, then that wore off, and I got nervous, and then I just had to get the job done.


I have been blogging about road safety for what seems like forever, and finally someone is taking me seriously.


A few horsey-types have been working with HORSE magazine on a safety feature, which is great, because I have learned so much in the process, and that's part of what life's about isn't it?


Jayne, she lives on a yacht, mends horse rugs an boat sails from the back of her van (yes, van), she skates, cycles, writes, takes photos, welds....and she's taking her yacht around the British Isles single handed...just for fun...she is a real-life action woman!



So at 10am this windy, oh so windy, sunny morning, they send Jayne the photographer, her brief? to capture me riding my boys around the village, and hopefully get some great shots to support the story of safety on the roads....on a windy day when I didn't feel safe at all.


please look after me Henry, you're so gorgeous, and we'll get lots of pictures of your bum!



Now like most horses, mine are extra nutty in the wind, did I mention it was windy already? So the morning was going to be mental, I asked all my neighbours to drive down the lane past me to get the job done so the crazy equines could be turned back out again...phew! luckily a few 'real' villagers happened past too, so it's not all fake!


You can see what I mean about Henry's arse, it's just incredibly gorgeous!


First I rode Henry - head to toe in Hi-Viz of course, Jayne took lots of photos from behind as suggested by me because Henry has an incredible arse.


I just never get tired of looking at that bottom....

 We went down the lane and back, Henry was more puzzled by the stranger following him about and crouching in the lane with a huge camera to pay much attention to the weather thankfully!



This is me riding Henry and demonstrating how brilliant he is on the roads with cyclists: our model is Sam Carter riding his new bike.






Riding out of a shady part of the lane you can clearly see my hi-viz, wear as much as you can manage, it's not cool to be without it.

Up next Tom, I had readied the willing drivers, and they performed brilliantly - thank you to all those involved: Lisa & Lee with Sam on his new bike, John of course, and Jeffrey in his old banger. I had instructed Jayne that Toms neck and head were his best features, although he has a great bottom too!



Tom and I are ready



I'll add pictures of Tom being ridden once i get some from Jayne, John was busy being a model at the time. but i'll keep this one here, it's a nice picture.



John is the model on the bike, he also has a nice arse!

It was a little surreal, looking briefly at some of her pictures I appear to be laughing the whole time, but it was like I'd been involved in some sort of prank.  But the message will be a clear one of safety.



 Tom and I meeting Lisa 'boob-tube' Carter.





Me, wondering what I got myself into!

Riders: please make every effort you can to be safe on the roads, start by having the right equipment, and that means:  good boots, phone, safe hat, and as much Hi-viz as you can manage - you can never have too much. 


easy to use ands wipe clean of mud, these velcro'd leg bandages are actually designed for runners.  dont just stick to tack shops to buy this stuff.  John sourced most of my best hi-viz from cycling and running sites.

It takes me a good 20 minutes to tack up because I kit out with Hi-viz:  me and my horses wear it.  


Here John has customised my hi-viz neck strap with a simple flashing thing he bought from Amazon, designed for runners.

Even if you are off-road riding, the chances of walkers with dogs, farmers in tractors, or even hunters seeing you, mean they can alter their trajectory to avoid you if necessary - you don't want to sneak up on a camouflaged man hiding in a hedge with a big gun!  Let everyone know you're there. 


Hi-viz is so important, dont leave home without it.

And if like me, you part company with your steed out riding, he'll gallop home and everyone will be able to spot him, and you running after him with his bridle in your hand (how did that happen?) and grass in your bra...or is that just me?





A small posse, notice how even in a shady part of the lane, when you can't even see Henry, you can see my Hi-viz.

Speaking to Jayne I learn that she's a cyclist too, so was able to learn some top tips, and she from me:

I have learned today that large groups of cyclists have difficulty stopping, because of course when they do, if the one directly behind doesn't notice the signal to slow down or stop, they crash into each other and fall like dominos.  Of course that is tricky, but I would suggest to those clubs cycling around little villages, that there's every likelihood there'll be horses about: ride further apart. ride slower, and have a look-out in the front.  So when a horse is sighted, a timely and perfectly choreographed slow-down and possible stoppage can be achieved.  thank you.


be safe out there people.

I really think we can all learn so much from each other if only we took the time to stop and listen.







Tom has a large 'swing' to his stride...did I tell you about the time I fell asleep...rocked by his movement?

No comments: